review: dr. jart+ silver label rejuvenating bb cream spf35 pa++


Korean actresses always look so flawless. So when it became known that one of their secrets was BB cream, Asian women went crazy for it hoping that they too could have flawless skin. Korean BB cream has for the last few years been touted as the end-all and be-all of all base makeup in Asia. Most are marketed as supposedly multitasking products that provide skincare benefits such as anti-aging and whitening, SPF, hydration, and good coverage all which can be had for a rather decent price (this can vary greatly as I've seen one for over $100US, but I've seen some for as low as $20US). There are so many brands to choose from in Korea, each brand making a plethora of different BB creams that promise to do different things. I won't go too much detail on the product genre as there is already so much information out there reported by other wonderful beauty bloggers especially since I have not tried many BB creams: a mere six. I treat BB cream like any other base makeup. I still make sure I moisturize, and if the provided SPF is less than 30 I will apply my own separate sunscreen before I apply the BB cream. I make sure I remove every last bit of it from my face before I go to bed.


The rest of the world is starting to jump on the popular BB cream bandwagon. A few Japanese companies like Kanebo have come out with their versions of BB cream. Western companies like MAC, Dior, Lancome, and Boscia have as well. I've been intrigued by the idea of western brands doing their own take on BB creams, and I hope to be able to try them out some day. Dr. Jart+ is actually a Korean brand that made the jump over to the US with two of their BB creams. The one I am reviewing is NOT available at Sephora. I bought the Silver Label BB cream (50ml) for $38US at a little local store called Cosmeland (if you are in SoCal, it is inside the Puente Hills Mall. I know. Random, right?). They do have an online site, which I haven't looked around much or bought from. It's far easier to go to the actual store for me. There may be other online stores that might sell it for a little less. I just checked Imomoko.com, and they sell it for the same price.



The color of the packaging corresponds to its name. It has nice and simple packaging overall. The squeeze tube is very convenient for dispensing product. I prefer it this way as with a pump I tend to get more product than I can use so I feel more wasteful.

The Dr. Jart+ Silver Label BB cream embodies most of the features I expect out of a Korean BB cream. It's a medium to high coverage cream with a semi-matte finish. The texture is kind of thick, but a little goes a long way. I use maybe a small pea-sized amount for my whole face, blending it into areas that I think need the most help first. It evens out my redness quite well, conceals my broken capillaries, and brightens my skin tone a bit. I usually don't try to conceal zits because I feel it only makes it worse when I do. It helps my under-eye area, but I don't think it can replace a good under-eye concealer. It has 35 SPF PA++, which I think is good enough if I'm just going to work. This BB cream is supposed to help control oil, but I'm not sure if I can say it's super effective at that. I have an oily T-zone that will get oily no matter what I use after a few hours. But at least I can say that this doesn't make it worse. I blot my chin and T-zone at around 4-5 hours after initial application in the morning.

Three swatches of it in this photo (all with approximately the same amount of product). First is an unblended dollop, second is spread thinly to show texture, and the third is completely blended into the skin (it's difficult to see, but it's there!).

I can't speak for the skincare benefits it promises such as whitening and anti-aging. I simply haven't used it long enough, but I'm going to venture a guess that I won't notice much of a difference. Like many Korean BB creams, it comes in only one color, which I think can work for NC15/20 (not sure if it will work for someone darker than that). It looks a little dark in the unblended swatches on my skin, but as you can see in the photo above, it blends into my skin quite well. I have not found this BB cream to oxidize on me, which is great cause nothing says sexy like an orange face with pale arms and legs amirite?!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm just getting burnt out from work (work + commute really.. I lump those two together because I carpool with a kindhearted yet extremely irritating coworker. He has always been kind to me, but 2-3 hours in traffic with him is most definitely work). I don't know how some bloggers are able to juggle work, working out, kids, pets, significant others, social networking, and blog regularly! I don't have all those things, and I still can't handle it! You are all so amazing! :) When I get home from work, I'm just exhausted. My brain is too numb from dealing with impossibly stupid asshats all day. Sometimes I wonder if maybe blogging just isn't for me, or if I should just suspend blogging until I actually had time and energy for it. I suppose you can say I'm on hiatus for now until I decide. Thank you for being patient with me. I'll be around on Twitter once in a while, and I will try to keep up on reading all the wonderful beauty blogs I follow because you know.. you can't keep me away from makeup. NO WAY NO HOW! ♥

  1. Great review! :D I really want to try at least one of Dr. Jart's BB creams this summer. ]

    I hope you're having a great weekend!

    Lots of love from Seattle! :D

  2. Love BB creams! I also wanted to let you know that I gave you an award today!

    http://mynewestaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    • Me
    • July 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM

    Excellent and thorough review. A couple weeks ago, I'd never heard of BB cream and now I have two (Missha and Edude House), and I use one of them every day. My friend is using Dr. Jart, and loves it.

  3. Hey! It's great to see a post from you! =) I'm really interested in the Dr. Jart BB creams, but the two they sell at Sephora won't work for me... (one I'm allergic to, and the other one is mauve) but I'm hoping they sell well enough that they'll start to stock more of them!

    & re blogging - my blog's sort of been on hiatus for the last 6 months or so since school has been really tough, but I think the important thing is to remember that blogging should be something fun you do for yourself. I've been blogging for the better part of the last ten years (not always about beauty haha) and I know that the moment it becomes an obligation to me, the joy I get out of blogging just gets killed. So keep it fun! Don't let it become another stressor. & good luck with work! I hope things get better for you soon! *hugs*

    • reene
    • July 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM

    @Steph, Thanks for stopping by! :) I really like this BB cream so far. It makes me want to try out many more, but I have too much base makeup to get through. Lots of love to you too! And your adorable puppies. ^^

    @LauraJean, Thank you for the award! I will some day get around to making that post..

    @Zuzu, I tried to resist the BB cream craze initially.. it's so out of control even my MOM and my AUNT used BB creams before I did! I like them so far, but I'm not sold that they are that much better than any other foundation I've tried. Maybe I just haven't met my match yet. :)

    @Catherine, Sorry to hear the Sephora Dr Jart ones didn't work for you. :( I'm hoping too that eventually more BB creams will become available to try. Like the Dior one.. :3 Thank you for your kind words. It was really nice to come home to your comment. ^^ Good luck in your classes! You are amazing that you made it so far. :) (envious)

  4. hey ! about this bb cream, where did you purchase it from?

  5. Hang in there girl! We actually just discovered your blog & would love to see more from you. ;) Good luck!

    If you're looking for another blog to check out in your "spare" time (or while you're in the car with your boring co-worker, who is hopefully the one driving, hahaha), we'd love to have you visit us sometime. If you do, drop us a comment!

    Thanks -
    Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings
    http://www.herlatenightcravings.blogspot.com/

  6. I would always prefer tubes over actually dipping my fingers, brush or sponge in makeup.

    it does appear that product does get "wasted" faster if it is in tubes. sometimes the tube is too full and more comes out than wanted in the application.

    how often do you shop at sephora?

Older Post

♥ about

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
thank you for stopping by! this is my humble little piece of the net dedicated to my love of cosmetics and other pretty things.

i would love to hear from you. please leave a comment or email me: reene.hearts @ yahoo.com.