review: rescue beauty lounge nail polish in starfish-patrick


I'm a very low-key nail girl. My girlfriends think I'm a strange creature because I've only gotten a manicure once in my life. I just never had the need since I played piano for most of my young life. When I got older, I had chem labs with acetone to worry about. This results with me being in my late 20's and unable to wield a friggin' nail file. I only know how to cut my nails short.. and I do mean SHORT. Only a sliver of white showing. I'm clueless on how to shape my nails, and I gave up trying a while ago. Also, I'm just plain lazy, but if I weren't so lazy and in New York, I'd definitely go to Rescue Beauty Lounge to hang with Ji (while having my nails done obvi). However, since I am geographically challenged, I did the next best thing.. bought her stuff online! Like always, I'm late to the party so other bloggers have already ooh'd and ahh'd at RBL polishes so I'll make this post quick.


I had been staring at RBL's site for some time. It seems like I do this often for things I can't see/touch before I buy. I finally bit the bullet and bought quite a few polishes. For the moment, my favorite of the RBL polishes I bought is Starfish-Patrick, which is why I chose to try it first. It's got that adorable kinda juicy soft peachy-pink thing going on. Ji's description of "if your nails could blush" is dead-on. I only went with one coat of polish (because I am lazy and impatient) so the nail line is still visible, which does not bother me, but go for two coats if you want more opacity. I used the RBL Treatment Set with this polish, but I want to save talking about the set for another post because I want to see how it plays with other polishes first. The consistency of Starfish-Patrick was just right. It wasn't overly thin or gloopy, making for easy application. Drying time is decent as well with the RBL top coat, but not as quickly as I'm used to with the Seche Vite top coat. These photos were taken maybe a day after application. It's now been about a week with very minor tip wear despite the abuse my nails get from my day to day. In terms of price, RBL is kinda in the high-end range at $18US each (compare to Chanel at $25US), but I think it's worth it for the quality. Do I like RBL more than my favorite Chanel polishes? I don't know if I'm ready to say that. It's pretty high on the list so far though!


To close, here is a picture of my new RBL polish army sans Starfish-Patrick and the Treatment Set.


  1. Hi reene

    I keep reading posts about RBL polishes and I'm betting I'll cave soon. lol
    I really like the looks of Starfish- Patrick- the sheerness of it is so pretty and soft.

    The light green and cream shades are definitely calling me- I love those hues.
    x

  2. That looks so delicate and pretty on you. Love it! I haven't tried any rbl polishes yet. I think I must!

    • reene
    • June 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

    @Merriment and Perilously, Starfish-Patrick is my color of the season. I know the trend is bright corals and oranges (which are pretty too don't get me wrong), but this is much more my speed. I still need to try out the other RBL polishes I bought; they are so pretty in the bottle. Give in to the shiny colors (mesmerizes)!

  3. That is such a delicate and pretty colour!

  4. RBL seems like an interesting line. what is so special about this polish that separates it say from OPI or zoya?

    • Dovey
    • June 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM

    I'm of the short-nail club too, incidentally due to piano as well! I love your choice of Starfish Patrick, it's one of my favorites that I've seen online.

    • reene
    • June 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

    @Modesty and Dovey, I love this color! It makes me feel so girlie and happy.

    @brittany, I tend to buy polishes based on color first. After that it's the consistency, finish, ease of application, and longevity that makes it a favorite polish for me. So I can't say what exactly makes RBL special, other than I like the colors and finishes Ji creates and how they apply. Sorry I can't give you a better answer than that. :( I really just.. like it! I like OPI and Zoya too. And Chanel.. I could go on. :)

  5. I don't know how I missed this post??? Anyways, I'm dying to try one RBL polish but I just can't seem to commit. I think it's mainly because the ones I'm most drawn to are sold out. :( I think I'll start with Teal and take it from there. Do you have any recommendations?

  6. that subtle hint of orange compliments your skin tone so well. love your nail collection as well :)followed your blog

    please check out my blog :)

    http://thefashioncyclist.blogspot.com/

    • reene
    • July 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

    @Devoted, I'm so sorry for responding to your comment sooooo late. I still haven't had the chance to try out the other RBL polishes I got! It's been nutso! Teal looked really gorgeous, but I took it out last second to take my total down a bit. Iconoclast and Under the Stars both look beautiful. I'm greatly anticipating Anne to become available again. That one looks to die for!

    @Jillian, I checked out your blog and followed as well. I love your photography. Thank you for dropping by!

  7. hmm...how do I say this LOL. I've never had a manicure in my life. I sort of just figure it out as I go along. I think RBL polishes are absolutely gorgeous, but I often hesitate to buy polishes if I already have something similar in my stash. Really love the colors you chose.

  8. Such a pretty peach! Being a SpongeBob SquarePants fan (my nephews watched when they were little), I love the name! I just placed my first RBL order yesterday--I've wanted to try this line for the longest time! Thanks for the review! :)

  9. I don't own any RBL nail polishes but after seeing your post, I really want to get some. They're so glossy and pretty. Thanks for the beautiful swatches.

Newer Post

Older Post

♥ about

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
thank you for stopping by! this is my humble little piece of the net dedicated to my love of cosmetics and other pretty things.

i would love to hear from you. please leave a comment or email me: reene.hearts @ yahoo.com.